MOST REVEREND ROBERT KURTZ, CR
Bishop of Hamilton-in-Bermuda
Date of Birth: July 25th, 1939; Ordained priest: March 11th, 1967; Appointed Bishop: June 1st, 1995; Ordained Bishop: September 15th, 1995
COAT OF ARMS
The golden lion which holds a rose covered shield on a field of blue represents Bermuda and the city of Hamilton surrounded
by the sea. The roses represent the Cathedral of Hamilton dedicated to St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, “The Little Flower.”
The Pascal Lamb and Resurrection Banner symbolize the pascal mystery — the death and resurrection of Jesus. These symbols also represent the Congregation of the Resurrection, the religious community of which Bishop Kurtz is a member.
The letter M and the star symbolize Mary, Mother of the Lord, who leads us to her son Jesus and is venerated as Stella Maris, Star of the Sea.
The Latin motto, Resurrexit Alleluia is taken from the Easter Liturgy. It is profession of faith, hope, love and joy — Jesus Christ is risen from the dead. Praise God!
Most Reverend Robert Joseph Kurtz
Priest of the Congregation of the Resurrection
Bishop of Hamilton in Bermuda
- Born in Chicago, Illinois, USA on 25 July 1939, only child
of Joseph Kurtz and Augusta Gronke Kurtz.
- Primary education at St. Hyacinth Elementary School in Chicago. Graduated in 1953. Served as altar server in the parish for five years, one of the sources for vocation to the priesthood.
- Graduated from Archbishop Joseph Weber High School, conducted by the Priests and Brothers of the Congregation of the Resurrection, in 1957.
- Entered the Novitiate of the Congregation of the Resurrection in Winnetka, Illinois and professed first vows
on January 6, 1959.
- College Seminary education at St. John Cantius Seminary and St. Louis University in the field of Spanish Language and Literature, graduating with a Bachelor’s Degree in 1962 and a Master’s degree in 1964.
- Theology Program completed at St. John Cantius Seminary conducted by the Congregation of the Resurrection in St. Louis, Missouri. Ordained to the Priesthood with five other members of the Congregation of the Resurrection in St. Louis Cathedral on March 11, 1967 by Joseph Cardinal Ritter.
· 1967-1970. Teacher of Spanish and Director of the Foreign Languages Department at Fr. Francis Gordon Technical High School in Chicago, Illinois.
· 1970-1975. Assistant Pastor for the Spanish-speaking at St. Hedwig Parish in Chicago. Simultaneously, Graduate Studies in New Testament and Early Christian Literature at the University of
Chicago. Master’s Degree Awarded in 1975.
· 1975-1981. Elected to serve as Assistant Superior General of the Congregation of the Resurrection in Rome, Italy. Simultaneously,Graduate Studies in Archeology at the Pontifical Institute for
Christian Archeology in Rome. Licentiate Degree awarded in 1981.
· 1981-1993. Superior General of the Congregation of the Resurrection.
1994-1995. Missionary in Oaxaca, Mexico, serving as Assistant at the Cathedral Parish and Spiritual Director at the Archdiocesan Seminary.
· September 15, 1995. Ordained Bishop at St. Theresa’s Cathedral in Hamilton, Bermuda: Ordaining Prelate: Archbishop Eugenio Sbarbaro, Apostolic Nuncio. Co-consecrators: Bishop Brian L.
Hennessy, C.R. (deceased) and Bishop Nino Marzoli, C.R. (deceased).
2009. Vice President of the Antilles Episcopal Conference.
(June 8, 2011)