Basse-terre & Pointe-à-Pitre - Sees, Country Information

Guadeloupe mapDIOCESE OF BASSE-TERRE & POINTE-Á-PITRE
[Official Title: Diocese of Guadeloupe, or Diocese of Basse-Terre and Pointe-à-Pitre]
Province of Antilles-Guyane
Suffragan of Fort-de-France
Established as a Diocese: September 27, 1850
Formerly a suffragan see of Bordeaux in France (1850-1905)
Under the jurisdiction of Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith (1905-1967) Comprises Guadeloupe, Marie-Galante, Terre-de-Bas, Terre-de-Haut, la Désirade, Saint-Barthélémy, and the French Section of Saint-Martin
GUADELOUPE
The diocese of Guadeloupe, which comprises the French Overseas Department, includes six dependencies: Marie-Galante to the south-east, Désirade to the east, Les Saintes south of Basse-Terre, St. Barthélémy north of St. Kitts and the northern part of St. Martin, the southern part of which is Dutch and forms part of the diocese of Willemstad.
The total land area is 1,780 square kilometers or 687 square miles. Guadeloupe embraces two islands joined by a bridge: Basse-Terre or Guadeloupe proper, and Grande-Terre to the east. The former is 219 square miles, the latter is 364 square miles.
The present population is 320,017 inhabitants, the majority of whom are of African origin. The population has fluctuated greatly. Thirty years ago it was almost 100,000 less and fifty years ago it was about the same as at present.
Approximately 95% of the population is Roman Catholic.